Hitting walls in raiding

Melathorn

Hitting walls in raiding

Post#1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:29 am

We're hitting a wall in Emerald Nightmare now. I think this is largely a DPS issue, so we need to work on amping up DPS where possible. I've heard 150k thrown around as a minimum DPS to shoot for in general, in EN, so if you're not there, let's see what we can do to improve it. Even if you there, though, like slices of pizza and biceps, bigger is always better!

Some ways to possible improve include:

Gear

If you need gear, World Quests can be a great source, as can world bosses, LFR, and mythics.

If you want to get in more mythic runs, let me know. I know cliques sometimes form, but it's usually just a group of people who happen to be on at the same time falling into habits. But I guarantee you that anyone in this guild will help anyone else out when they can, be it stepping out of runs so you can get in, tanking/healing a run for you, etc. Just let me know and I'll make it happen.

Play Optimization

Sometimes it's not all about gear, but about optimizing your play.

Two good resources are:

WowHead Class Guides
Icy Veins Class Guides

There are often optimal talent choices for raiding situations, and sometimes synergies that you may not think about.

It's also important to keep in mind that when trying to maximize DPS for raiding, it's often very active. While questing, you're okay autoattacking while chatting in guild, but raiding DPS is best done by pressing the important buttons as SOON as they're available. For example, if I have a big power attack on a 5 second cooldown, but I only hit it every 10 seconds, I'm losing DPS. Over the course of a 5 minute fight, I could have used the ability 60 times, but I instead only used it 30. Assume the ability averages 50,000 per hit, and that's 1,500,000 damage I missed out on just one fight. It adds up. :)

Mods

Deadly Boss Mods (DBM)
GTFO

Mods can often help, as well. Some specs are just set up such that there's a lot of information to keep track of, and it's difficult without mods. The above Class Guides at Ice Veins and WowHead will make recommendations there as well. Common helpful mods include things like some sort of DoT timer that helps keep DoTs/debuffs applied, cooldown trackers, and WeakAuras that can be set up to alert you when something important to press needs to be pressed.

I also believe most people should have DBM. It helps communicate raid boss actions and alerts you to what's going on. Blizzard has come a long way on better communicated raid mechanics, but there are still things they don't do as well. GTFO (get the fuck out) is also another really nice one to have. It makes a loud alarm sound when you're standing in something avoidable. In a hectic fight with lots to watch, it's easy to not notice you're standing in something you could have avoided. This is really helpful, especially when the thing you're getting hit by doesn't kill you. I found it alerting me to stuff I didn't even know I was getting hit by, because when you don't die, and you have awesome healers, you may not even notice. But avoiding damage can help healers preserve their mana for longer fights, like our Eyegina fights.

Okay, enough wall of text. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Even class specific questions. I probably don't know your class well enough to answer, but I'll find someone who can, or help you find an answer elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for being so awesome and fun to play with! Let's keep rocking it!

Xilek

Re: Hitting walls in raiding

Post#2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:52 pm

We should also share out/friend people on B.Net, steam and chat on Discord if possible!

While I may not be online in WoW I'm usually available by other means. If I'm around and available I'm more than happy to help with any Heroic/Mythic/+ runs people might want to do.

Feel free to add me on Bnet or steam!

Bnet: Xilek#1560
Steam: Xilek

Raina
Site Admin

Re: Hitting walls in raiding

Post#3 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:07 am

WQ are in my opinion the best place to get entry level raiding gear. I've gotten my shaman up to ilevel 848 with pretty much all world quest stuff.

I'd also recommend the add on 'pawn' which uses some prebiotic scales to determine what is and what isn't an upgrade. A higher ilevel isn't always an upgrade, especially if you're just going up 5 pts

Return to “Raiding”